Friday, September 28, 2012

No Sew Roman Shades Using Blinds

Follow Me on Pinterest 
No Sew Roman Shade
My kitchen window has had a nappy treatment for some time now, so I guess it's time I did something about it. I have always loved the look of the roman shade but are expensive and daunting to make. I thought I could just buy a cheap-o blind at Wal-mart and somehow sew some fabric to the blind... (I often have these great ideas without thinking them though.) Of course I turned to the internets for some kind of tutorial on how to make a roman shade from blinds. I found this nifty tutorial on exactly what I was looking for! How to make roman shades from blinds:
http://365days2simplicity.blogspot.com/2011/04/easy-no-sew-roman-shades.html. This site has step by step instructions to make all your roman shade dreams come true. And in true blog fashion, I have added my own pics, tips, and suggestions on how go about turning a plain, old, boring blind into a fabulous, fashionable, and functional roman shade!

First things first, shop for some totally awesome fabric. I found a great print at Hobby Lobby for a steal, for like $6 for duck cotton or some such nonsense. Apparently the thicker the better. Whatevs, any fabric will do. If you want to filter more light, I would get a darker color, or double up on the fabric. If you want a print on both sides of the fabric, IKEA has a good selection. Pick out some ribbon as well if you want. A tip for easier measuring is to get a print with a pattern to use as your guide.

You will need some fabric glue, which can be purchased at Wal-mart or any craft store, and your blinds. Again I got mine at wallies for $4.00. Other things you will need is an iron, glue gun, scissors, measuring instruments, and iron-on "no sew" tape. (Sorry I can't remember the official name.)


I started out by measuring the window and cutting my fabric. Next, I hemmed the edges with iron-on tape. (I did not need to hem the top and bottom. I hot glued them to the top and bottom rail at the end.) I then used the iron-on tape to attach the ribbon to the fabric.

Now for the fun part: taking apart the blind. (Refer to instructional tutorial on how to do this. Don't worry, it's easy as pie.) http://365days2simplicity.blogspot.com/2011/04/easy-no-sew-roman-shades.html


After taking apart the blind, I was ready to glue my fabric to it. I placed the fabric face down, and placed the blinds on top. Just like starting a wood floor, the first line is the most important in making sure  subsequent lines are level. Making sure my top rail was totally straight, I used the fabric pattern as my guide for straight lines, placing a blind every 5" or so. An easy way to begin gluing was to flip the blind over to the surface that I was gluing to the fabric (convex.) It was easier to place glue on the blind than the fabric. I used a foam brush to smooth the glue. I felt this is a very important step because it looked "globby" otherwise and did not adhere as well. I then flipped the blind back over and pressed down the length of the fabric making sure the two sides weren't crooked. I was careful not to glue the drawstrings to the fabric. You're supposed to let this set over night, but mine was perfectly dried in 3-4 hours. I adhered my top and bottom rails with hot glue taking care not to glue the top corners  because I needed to be able to slide the "locks" into my blind brackets. After installing the blind, I later hot glued the corners to their holders. And that there's how you turn a blind into a work of art!


*Note: if you have problems with your fabric bunching up as you pull the drawstring, don't panic. You may need to crease the folds with you hands and straighten it a little for it to start working properly. I had to do this with mine as I had thick fabric and thick ribbon.

23 comments:

  1. Did you know your Grandma Frost made the shades in the playroom of her house?

    These you made are awesome - so are you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes I did know she made them, hers were way more professional than mine. She knew what she was doing!

      Delete
  2. Making a no-sew Roman shades is practical because it could save you the time and effort of making one. However, it can be easily torn as the glue loses its adhesion. While in sewn, there's a possibility that it would last for some generations.

    #Roxie@WindowTreatmentsPhiladelphia.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The effort and time you can put into cleaning and maintaining your blinds, does play a major role. If you are extremely busy and cannot spend a lot of time in blind maintenance, you may want to go in for the standard window blinds. These types of blinds can be cleaned with ease at home. However, remember that the standard blinds need frequent attention, as they can also attract a lot of dust. You can install shades with a lot of weaves in textured fabrics that has the ability to hide soil better. These shades require periodical vacuuming and cleaning by professional cleaners.
    http://www.customblindswa.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Among those posts I've seen, this is the most particular one, and I think the blogger must have spent lots of time on it, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Among those posts I've seen, this is the most particular one, and I think the blogger must have spent lots of time on it, thank you so much!

    windows blinds suppliers in india

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen this post regarding Roman Shades which is i really like it and it's good to know about this post keep doing well and i always trying to find that kind of things which i have found hare nice wall coverings

    Thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is good to know more about roman shades that will make your home look good you can take different-2 type of shades which is really nice you have done good work for this post doing well for future to know more about us click here colorado ski resort shuttle

    Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's good to see this post for roman shades of curtains as you mention in your post which is very pretty impressive for me and i like it keep doing well carpets in dubai

    thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here i looked your post regarding roman shades of curtains which is nice to see it here on your post and good to see it please update here with new post like that post...nice post wall papers in dubai

    Thank you....

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aweome post and thanks for this post for shades of curtains that i am able to see in your good post and nice post and it's good for me to see it and very helful for home...Transportation to DIA | Denver transportation

    Good Post...

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have seen some nice design of plates which is i really like it keep doing well and you have done good work on this post and nice post to know more click here...knuckle and elbow whitening cream | vitamin c gel face wash

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have seen your post regarding some beautiful things for lifestyle which is good to know of it and you have pos good pictures of multiple things as i am able to see in your post that is really good to know and you have done good work thank you so much for this post to know more about us click here...

    vitamin c gel face wash | hand lotion

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here i have seen your post for transportation services and you have maintain well your blog with proper post...nice post and you have done good work on this post keep doing well...Website Designing Company in Delhi NCR

    Digital Marketing Company In Delhi NCR

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a wonderful post and thanks for sharing with us. I think you have did lot of R&D for this one. Waiting for the another post from your end....

    buy ruby stone online India | buy RED CORAL stone online India

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have found your blog on google while searching furniture for home and i have seen your blog which is nice to see here. keep doing well

    anti ageing night moisturizer | natural beauty products | vitamin c gel face wash | Blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've first time seen this kind of shades, they are really very nice..

    Anti Ageing Night Moisturizer

    ReplyDelete
  18. you have great story about shades and which is pretty impressive to see here keep updating with your new post, and thanks for this post...


    Blog


    natural cream


    anti ageing night moisturizer

    ReplyDelete
  19. Since these blinds are obviously made of wood, here’s a friendly reminder: Never leave it to soak for too long to prevent it from warping and discoloring.
    window blinds houston

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always trying to find that kind of post for home furniture which is really nice to see here, keep doing well and you have done good work on this post....natural cream for reducing wrinkles | natural whitening products

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always trying to find that kind of blog for blinds and you have maintain well your blog, keep updating with new post...bookmarking site

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love shutters too! A friend of mine put them around her windows...on the inside...it looked so awesome instead of curtains! I love what you've done with yours too!
    window shade houston

    ReplyDelete