Sunday, July 29, 2012

Picnic at the "beach" birthday party

Follow Me on Pinterest

Our backyard is teeny tiny but wanted to make the space I do have fun enough for my two children to grow up with a "normal" childhood. I have wanted to do a sandbox for many moons but have not had the gumption until my four year old's birthday came up. I finally decided to go for it-a sandbox that is-expanding upon this theme to a "Picnic at the Beach." It was a freaking hard project...mainly because our backyard is somewhat inaccessible. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but the end result was really great and I'm glad I decided to go for it. Never mind the fact that my kids go to bed every night with sand crusted in their hair and lining their pockets. It's their favorite thing since Thomas the Train! We hauled in huge stone pavers, (16 inches wide) then added a yard and a half  of sand. (That was 4 truckloads, a total of $40.00. Not bad.) The waves, dolphin, and whale are made from spray painted card board, and the sky is plastic table covers. I purchased some pretty sweet sandbox toys from Toys-R-Us (the best selection in my opinion.) The Adirondack chairs were from Wal-Mart for $5.00 a piece. Add a kiddie pool and some beach balls, and you have yourself a beach in the backyard! It was definitely a huge hit with my kids as well as the rest of the neighborhood!








The arbor going from our front yard to back with a sign that says "Beach Entrance."


2 comments:

  1. Heather this is so creative and inviting! I always knew you were clever but you keep making me amazed all over again!
    xoxoxo mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful and innovative birthday party.. Enjoyment of beach party at home.. :-)
    Natural Skin Care Products

    ReplyDelete